Touch to start a LIVE CHAT
Call for a Free Consultation CALL (305) 440-0450

Who Will Pay My Medical Bills After a Miami Personal Injury?

After being injured in an accident, you may be wondering “who will pay my medical bills?” The answer largely depends on the type of accident that you were hurt in and who caused it.

Lavent Law can provide you with the information you need after discussing the details of your accident. In the meantime, here are the basics for what you should know:

PIP Insurance Pays Immediate Medical Bills After Car Crashes

The state of Florida requires drivers to carry personal injury protection (PIP) insurance. If you or your child were injured in an auto accident, this insurance policy would kick in and pay for all of your immediate medical bills—to a certain amount.

PIP insurance works well in minor collisions with either no injuries or minor wounds. However, any injuries requiring substantial medical care will typically exceed the limits of PIP coverage fairly quickly.

In this case, a personal injury claim will need to be filed against the driver or business who caused the accident. This is the best way to receive additional compensation.

Slip-and-Fall Cases

Injuries related to a slip-and-fall accident are handled differently, given that there is no PIP insurance. Instead, victims typically use their personal medical insurance when visiting the doctor and receive future compensation through filing a civil lawsuit.

In this case, any money you pay out of pocket would be reimbursed through your claim’s final settlement amount. However, sometimes the business where the slip-and-fall occurred will have a policy in place to cover your expenses immediately following your fall.

Product Liability

After being injured by a defective product, you are going to need immediate medical care and will likely have to use your own health insurance policy to pay for it.

Filing a lawsuit against the manufacturer, distributor, or any other negligent party can result in recovering financial compensation for these bills and other financial losses.

Company Doctors

In some scenarios, an organization may have a doctor that they want to send you to after the accident has been reported. These doctors may provide temporary care, but it is still wise to visit your own doctor to ensure a proper and unbiased diagnosis.

Help from a Miami Injury Lawyer

If you need assistance paying for medical bills, speak with Boris Lavent. He can represent you and negotiate with the doctor or hospital treating you. It may be possible to get them to hold off on billing you while your injury case is ongoing.

Learn more about your legal options for compensation by scheduling an appointment with Lavent Law. You can reach our office by calling (305) 440-0450 or by completing the contact form below.