Were you or a loved one harmed because a doctor or medical professional was careless in Miami, FL? You could have the right to recover compensation for your medical bills, lost wages and, pain and suffering. An experienced Miami medical malpractice lawyer at Lavent Law, P.A. can fight for the fair compensation you deserve. Call 305-440-0450 today to schedule a free consultation.
We’ve been working hard to protect clients suffering because of medical errors in Miami for years–and we’ve already recovered millions of dollars in compensation to help those clients move forward.
Your initial consultation is always 100% free of charge, so contact our law firm in Miami, Florida, to arrange yours today.
- 1 How Lavent Law, P.A. Can Help With Your Miami Medical Malpractice Claim
- 2 How Common is Medical Malpractice in Miami, FL?
- 3 What is My Miami Medical Malpractice Case Worth?
- 4 How Long Will My Personal Injury Case Take?
- 5 What Types of Damages Are Available to Victims of Medical Malpractice?
- 6 We’ll Fight to Recover Compensation for All Harm Caused by Medical Malpractice
- 7 What Causes Medical Malpractice in Miami, Florida?
- 8 How Do I Prove Negligence if I Was Harmed by Medical Malpractice in Florida?
- 9 How Long Do I Have to File a Lawsuit Based on Medical Malpractice in Florida?
- 10 Contact a Miami Medical Malpractice Lawyer for a Free Consultation
- 11 Miami Medical Malpractice Lawyer Review
- 12 Medical Malpractice Resources
How Lavent Law, P.A. Can Help With Your Miami Medical Malpractice Claim
You should be able to trust your medical team when you visit a medical facility for a routine checkup or seek treatment or surgery for a specific medical condition. After all, they’re the ones who are trained to identify and treat health problems.
Doctors and hospitals make mistakes. When those mistakes rise to a certain level of carelessness, patients are entitled to hold the medical professionals accountable. That’s not always an easy task.
Medical malpractice laws are complex. The burden of proof is always placed on the victim–meaning you’ll have to prove what happened and why the mistake constitutes malpractice. An experienced Miami personal injury lawyer can help you through these challenges.
At Lavent Law, P.A., our team will:
- Review your medical records, investigate, and gather evidence to identify the mistake or omission
- Hire the experts and specialists necessary to proceed with your case
- Help you understand the fair value of your case
- Handle all administrative and procedural issues involved in the negotiations
Standing up to a big hospital or your doctor’s defense lawyers can seem overwhelming. Our Miami personal injury attorneys aren’t intimidated. We’ve been serving Miami for years–and we’ve helped countless clients recover fair compensation–going toe-to-toe with some of the biggest insurance companies out there.
Interested in learning more? Give us a quick call to schedule a free consultation today.
How Common is Medical Malpractice in Miami, FL?
Studies suggest that Florida is one of four states where medical malpractice is statistically most likely to occur. More than 40% of practicing physicians in the top four states for medical malpractice were required to make payments to medical malpractice victims over a ten-year period.
While the problem is serious in Florida, medical errors also pose a nationwide threat. The New England Journal of Medicine reports that somewhere between 75% and 99% of doctors will face a medical malpractice lawsuit at some point in their career.
Even more shocking? Johns Hopkins, one of the most respected medical facilities in the country, estimates that medical malpractice is the third-leading cause of death in the U.S.
What is My Miami Medical Malpractice Case Worth?
Before even calling a lawyer, you’re probably wondering what your case is worth. It’s never easy to assign a precise dollar value to your overall losses.
A number of factors can impact the value of your case.
Some of the most important questions impacting your case’s worth include:
- Was your injury permanent or life-threatening?
- What types of medical care will you require to address the doctor’s mistake?
- How shocking was the medical error?
- Did you lose wages and income because of the mistake?
- Will the consequences impact your future earning potential?
- How did the mistake impact you emotionally?
- How did your family suffer?
The insurance company won’t simply hand over what’s fair. Rather, you’ll have to fight for every dollar you deserve. With our experience and resources in your corner, you’ll greatly improve your odds of maximizing your financial recovery.
How Long Will My Personal Injury Case Take?
What Types of Damages Are Available to Victims of Medical Malpractice?
Money can never truly compensate you if a doctor’s error jeopardized your health. However, taking legal action to recover compensatory damages is usually the only way to hold a negligent doctor accountable.
In other words, you have the right to compensation for your outright financial losses, including:
- Past medical bills
- The cost of future medical care to treat the error
- Lost wages and income
- Diminished earning potential
- Corrective surgeries
- Long-term care
Your settlement award will also attempt to compensate you for the emotional and psychological toll of your injuries.
Those non-economic damages might include:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Diminished quality of life
- Loss of consortium
- Disfigurement and scarring
In the past, the state of Florida capped the amount of non-economic damages medical malpractice victims could receive. That cap no longer applies under a Florida Supreme Court ruling handed down a few years ago. That means you can recover compensation for the full range of harm caused by your doctor’s mistake.
In rare cases involving malice or intentional conduct, punitive damages might even be available.
We’ll Fight to Recover Compensation for All Harm Caused by Medical Malpractice
Quality medical care can make the difference between a long, healthy life and one filled with doctor visits, surgeries, and medications. In nearly every case, the quality of your medical care will impact your future prognosis.
Substandard medical care can have serious long-term consequences.
Some of the most common consequences for victims of medical negligence include:
- A reduced life expectancy
- More invasive treatments
- Unnecessary surgeries
- Chronic pain
- Prescription drug dependency
- Diminished overall quality of life
- Catastrophic injuries
- Brain injuries
- Wrongful death
Our lawyers at Lavent Law, P.A. will fight to recover fair compensation for all the harm you’ve suffered. Are you interested in learning more about our practice areas? Call our law offices today and tell us what happened.
What Causes Medical Malpractice in Miami, Florida?
Medical errors happen all the time. Not every mistake can lead to a medical malpractice claim. Unfortunately, some mistakes are simply so serious that they should never happen, regardless of the circumstances.
At Lavent Law, P.A., we handle all types of medical malpractice cases, including those involving:
- Emergency room errors
- Failure to diagnose a disease
- Failure to order appropriate diagnostic tests or misinterpreting test results
- Failure to recognize a patient’s symptoms
- Medication errors
- Anesthesia errors
- Surgical errors
- Operating on the wrong body part
- Failure to diagnose cancer
- Failure to monitor a mother or fetus to prevent birth injuries
- Lack of informed patient consent
- Failure to obtain a full patient medical history
- Communication errors
- Hospital negligence
- Nursing negligence
- Birth injuries
- Hospital-acquired infection
- And more
Some mistakes happen because doctors and nurses are overworked–and hospitals are understaffed. Others might occur because health care providers receive inadequate training or supervision.
We know that it isn’t always easy to spot a medical error, even if you know you’re suffering. Regardless of the root cause, our Miami medical malpractice attorneys can evaluate your situation and help you understand your legal options. Contact us today to schedule your free case review.
How Do I Prove Negligence if I Was Harmed by Medical Malpractice in Florida?
In most personal injury cases, proving negligence involves establishing four elements.
- A legal duty of care
- Breach of the duty of care
- Damages, whether physical, emotional, or financial
Cases involving medical negligence are slightly different. Medical malpractice lawsuits require establishing:
- The medical standard of care
- A breach of that standard
- That the breach directly caused your harm
- Actual damages
Complications often arise when establishing the medical standard of care. The medical standard of care is the level of care that a reasonable, trained medical professional would have provided under the circumstances. It provides a baseline level of care that all patients should expect.
That means the medical standard of care can vary dramatically based on the specific facts of your case. Florida medical malpractice laws require expert testimony on the medical standard of care.
That means our lawyers will bring in medical experts and specialists to testify about the level of care you should have received–and why the care you actually received failed to live up to those standards.
How Long Do I Have to File a Lawsuit Based on Medical Malpractice in Florida?
If you were the victim of medical negligence in Miami, don’t wait to get legal advice. The clock is already ticking. Florida law gives victims two years to file a medical malpractice lawsuit. That clock starts to run on the date you knew or reasonably should have known about the medical mistake.
This discovery rule is useful if you don’t find out about the mistake right away. However, the law also puts a firm four-year deadline on your right to sue for damages in most cases.
Exceptions do exist–but don’t wait to find out whether one applies in your case. Call our law offices as soon as you can if you suspect you were a victim of malpractice.
Contact a Miami Medical Malpractice Lawyer for a Free Consultation
A doctor’s mistake can tear your life apart. You deserve to hold negligent healthcare providers accountable. Call a Miami medical malpractice lawyer at Lavent Law, P.A. for a free consultation today.
Miami Medical Malpractice Lawyer Review
Miami Hospitals Nearby
- Select Specialty Hospital – Victoria Center, 955 NW
- Braunwald Hospitals Private Limited – 912 Brickell Ave
- Little Havana Medical Center – 1200 SW 1st St
- University of Miami Hospital – 1150 SW 14th St
- University of Miami Health System – 1321 NW 14th St
*Disclaimer – we do not endorse these companies or profit from having them listed on our website.
Medical Malpractice Resources
- Can I Seek Compensation for Emotional Distress Caused by a Doctor?
- Can I Sue for Emotional Distress?
- How to Find Out if a Doctor Has a History of Medical Malpractice
- Miami Delayed Diagnosis Lawyer
- Miami Neurosurgeon Malpractice Lawyer
- Miami Urologist Malpractice Lawyer
- Popcorn Lung: An Overview on Causes, Treatments, & Liability
- Understanding the Mirena Crash
- What is the Difference Between Express and Implied Consent?
- Who Will Pay My Medical Bills After a Miami Personal Injury?
- 5 Things You Need to Know About Going to the Emergency Room After an Accident