Miami Bicycle Accident Lawyer
If you were harmed in a bicycle accident caused by a negligent car driver, motorcycle rider, or even a poorly maintained road or sidewalk, you can file a personal injury lawsuit to recover financial damages. Your financial compensation should cover all of the expenses and negative effects incurred by the accident.
A Miami bicycle accident lawyer from Lavent Law can assist you by negotiating on your behalf out of court or by representing you during trial.
Depending on the details of your bicycle accident, it might seem clear that a car driver was to blame for your accident. Whether your case seems clear-cut or complicated, we will need to prove the negligence of the at-fault driver in order to receive a settlement.
Working with a Miami bicycle accident lawyer from our firm provides you with the best opportunity for doing so. We will investigate your accident and gather the evidence needed to build a strong case. Useful evidence may include all of the following items:
- Video footage and photographs
- Eyewitness statements
- Accident reports filed with the police
- Medical records and statements from doctors
- Additional evidence gathered at the scene
Common Causes of Miami Bicycle Accidents
Unfortunately, there are a number of common causes of bicycle accidents, many of which involve the drivers of passenger and commercial vehicles:
- Distracted driving
- Drunk driving
- Dangerous road conditions
- Fatigued driving
- Reckless driving
- Car doors opening in the path of cyclists, known as “dooring”
Regardless of why you were in an accident, you can file a personal injury lawsuit as long as another person or entity was at fault for what happened.
Receiving Medical Care
According to the Bicycle Helmet Safety Institute, 45,000 bicyclists were injured in 2015. Of those with serious injuries, head trauma was common. Since head injuries are not always immediately apparent, it is critical that you undergo a complete medical evaluation after being in an accident.
If you do not have insurance or are underinsured, call to schedule a free consultation with a Miami bicycle accident lawyer from our office. We may be able to negotiate a delayed billing plan so that you can receive the care you need now. Under this type of plan, your doctor will receive payment once the case has settled.
Compensation for Bicycle Accident Injuries
Given how exposed cyclists are, the chances of suffering a major injury during an accident are high. It is critical not to settle your case too quickly, however. There needs to be a full understanding of how your injuries have impacted your life so that an accurate value can be placed on your claim.
Your Miami bicycle accident lawyer will help you make this evaluation so that you can get the most compensation possible for your injuries. For example, you may be entitled to compensation for all of the accident-related expenses detailed below:
- Medical Bills – Both current medical bills and future medical treatments should be included when calculating the value of your claim.
- Lost Wages and Income – If you have lost wages due to being unable to work or needing to take time off, you could recover those wages through a settlement or by going to court.
- Transportation Expenses – Whether you have to pay for public transportation or just need to recover the costs of going to and from your medical appointments, transportation costs may be recovered during your trial.
- Caregiver Expenses – If you have had to hire help for assistance around the house or caring for your children while you recover, you could be entitled to reimbursement.
- Additional Therapies – The cost of rehabilitation appointments, physical therapy, and alternative treatments such as acupuncture may all be recovered.
- Retrofitting Your Home – Remodeling your home in order to make it friendly for your new physical limitations should be compensated.
- Pain and Suffering – You can seek restitution for all of the ways that your injuries have impacted you mentally and emotionally.
If your doctor believes that you will be unable to return to work, you may have a long-term disability and be entitled to Social Security Disability Income in addition to lost wages received through your personal injury lawsuit.
Your Miami bicycle accident lawyer can discuss your options for disability compensation with you and help you with the application process.
Florida Statute of Limitations
You will need to hire a Miami bicycle accident lawyer and file your lawsuit before the statute of limitations is reached. Florida allows four years in which to file suit and seek compensation. Once exceeded, your case could be thrown out of court with no verdict rendered.
Consult a Miami Bicycle Accident Lawyer
You can depend on Lavent Law to provide you with sound legal representation and to give you the best chance possible for successfully settling your injury claim. If you were injured in a bike accident, call 305-440-0450 to speak with an experienced Miami bicycle accident lawyer.