Been involved in a truck accident? According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and the US Department of Transportation (USDOT), over 100,000 people were injured in truck accidents in 2012. If you’ve been injured in such an accident, call a truck accident lawyer Aventura.
According to statistics provided by the Motor Carrier Management Information System, over 112,000 large trucks were involved in nonfatal crashes in 2010 resulting in over 60,000 injuries. The numbers are increasing every year.
Common Causes of Truck Accidents
The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration has determined that the most common causes of truck accidents include:
- driver neglect (distractions such as cell phone use)
- inadequately maintained truck (faulty brakes)
- traveling too fast for road conditions
- unfamiliarity with the road or highway
- overloaded or improperly loaded cargo
A truck accident lawyer Aventura can help you to determine exactly what caused the accident.
Who’s at Fault?
Not all accidents are caused by the truck driver, and the above causes may also be attributed to other drivers. The problem is that trucks often caused massive damage to both personal and public property due to their size and weight. Compensation for damages against truckers deemed at fault is typically the responsibility of:
- the truck driver
- the trucking contractor or carrier
- the manufacturer (faulty safety equipment, brakes, etc.)
- local governments (such is the case regarding road hazards, defects, or damage caused by lack of maintenance by the local city, county, or state agencies)
Seek legal representation if you have been charged with negligence as a truck driver, or are a victim of a truck accident. Finding a truck accident lawyer Aventura should be your first step in the legal process.
Dealing with a Truck Accident
If you’ve been involved in a truck accident, don’t leave your case to chance. Most truckers contracted by carriers are represented by their legal departments. Legal representation should be your first step toward protecting yourself in any truck accident case whether you have been deemed at fault or not.
In the event of a truck accident:
- Report the accident to local authorities (911)—law enforcement will send ambulance and police to the scene immediately.
- If you aren’t injured, check for the welfare of others involved in the accident.
- If you haven’t been injured or are not seriously injured, report the accident to your insurance company.
- Obtain a copy of all services rendered including police reports, witness statements, medical services, ambulance bills, etc.
- Submit a copy of the police report to your insurance company and keep one for your attorney.
What kind of documents do I need?
Your truck accident lawyer Aventura will also recommend or help with gathering photographic evidence, police reports, and any other evidence, including witness statements that may help your case. Truck accident attorneys also know that in some instances, arbitration or trial cases may require collaboration with accident experts, especially when producing a counterargument to claims or accusations.
Speak with an Aventura Truck Accident Lawyer Today
If you have been involved in a truck accident, protect yourself and your rights. Contact an attorney right away. A truck accident lawyer Aventura can help. Don’t go it alone. Contact Lavent Law, P.A. at (305) 912-9356 or contact us online for information about every step in the process. We’re here to help.