Personal injuries come in many varieties. You may have slipped and fell, been in a car accident, been poisoned, or been hurt by a defective product. The wounds you bear from your accident can be expensive, and getting appropriate compensation from those responsible could be the only way to stay out of debt.
After your personal injury, you will need an experienced Homestead personal injury lawyer from Lavent Law, PA to help you figure out whom to hold accountable and determine the best course for doing so.
Florida and Personal Injuries
In 2014, Florida saw 13,266 fatal injuries and 1,915,849 non-fatal emergency room visits and hospitalizations. This includes intentional, unintentional, and accidental categories of injuries. The most common were falls, poisonings, and motor vehicle accidents.
- Slips and falls often occur due to a business’s or property owner’s negligence in keeping their premises safe for visitors.
- Poisonings are typically caused by defective medicines and other products, but accidental toxic exposure is possible, as well.
- Car Accidents are normally the result of one driver’s negligence and can cause some of the most damaging and long-term injuries.
A Lavent Law Homestead personal injury lawyer can help you sort out the aftermath of your accident, regardless of what caused it. We will need to account for all of your injuries and the care they require.
Types of Personal Injuries
Just like the causes of personal injuries, the actual types are incredibly varied. Below are some of the ones more commonly seen:
- Neck and back injuries, possibly leading to prolonged or permanent paralysis.
- Traumatic brain injuries resulting in a wide array of symptoms that range from slurred speech to memory problems
- Broken bones, often causing limited mobility and persistent pain
- Severe burns affecting mobility and resulting in potentially permanent scarring, disfigurement, and vision and hearing damage
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and other emotional trauma
Your injuries will determine the medical care required to enable your recovery. When you weren’t at fault, these are expenses you shouldn’t be expected to pay for. A Homestead personal injury lawyer from our firm will determine how your injuries will affect your life and get your medical bills covered.
Comparative Negligence in Florida
Negligence is at the heart of any personal injury lawsuit. Determining who should be held responsible can be a complicated process in its own right. Florida follows a pure comparative negligence rule, which means that if an accident is partially your fault, the compensation you receive will be reduced by your percentage of that fault.
For example, if you are awarded a $100,000 settlement, but you were deemed to be 20 percent at fault, you would only receive $80,000. Mitigating the negligence assigned to you is an important reason to get help from a Homestead personal injury lawyer.
In 2013, the average cost of a Florida resident’s injury-related hospitalization was almost $43,000, and the average stay was three days. These are just the beginnings of the costs involved in personal injuries. You will potentially face a number of other financial burdens:
- Immediate and long-term medical expenses
- Income loss or reduction in earning potential
- Housing and vehicle accommodations for permanent disabilities
- Pain and suffering
- Diminished enjoyment of life
- Loss of consortium (when injuries harm your family relationships)
- Punitive damages for those injuries that were either intentionally caused or due to exceptional negligence
With the help of a Homestead personal injury lawyer from our office, you won’t have to worry about your family’s future.
Get a Free Consultation with a Homestead Personal Injury Lawyer
No matter how you were injured, you owe it to yourself and your family to get the money you need to recover. The healthcare, insurance, and legal systems are seemingly impenetrable, but with a Homestead personal injury lawyer from Lavent Law, PA, you can finally make sense of everything.
Call us at 305-440-0450 to speak to someone immediately. You may also fill out the form below to have a member of our team contact you soon.